Are you in the mood for some comfort food? Rainy days don’t have to be all bad… they are perfect for cozying up under the blankets, watching movies, and best of all… warm food! And we love Bacalao Stew!
Bacalao Stew is a traditional Puerto Rican dish that consists in slow cooking the Bacalao in liquid with spices and vegetables resulting in a thick, gravy-like plate filled with flavor, texture and lots of love!
Lets get cooking!
Recipe by: Scott Rosenbaum, EatingWell Magazine
Serving: 4 servings
Time: 45 mins.
- 1 pound of Cod (fresh), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14oz.) of diced tomatoes
- 1 chile pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1 tsp. capers, rinsed
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup water, as needed
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. After the onion is cooked, add garlic and cook, continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, Cod, tomatoes (with their juices), chile pepper, cilantro, pimiento-stuffed green olives, capers, oregano and salt; stir to combine. Pour up to 1/2 cup of water if the mixture if it seems dry. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with avocado (if using).
Serve this amazing Bacalao Stew hot to warm the soul.
Visit Eating Well for full recipe.
Want a taste? Feel free to shop around at our Online Store and see all the different varieties of products available to make your culinary experience an success.